Thursday, December 11, 2008

Lunch Hour Report: HP and Linux, Google and SMS and Japan with renewable energy

Looks like HP has finally given in to the will of it's users and is now offering up computers with Linux preloaded on them. Nice move for HP, seeing that they were the last one of the Tier 1 computer companies to make the move. Reportedly, "The problem was HP was a house divided when it came to shipping a Linux desktop." Seems like the people who knew the technology, the developers, wanted it. But those people who were more in the management side of things didn't want to touch the idea. Seems like they finally got their heads straight though and I'm glad to see that the people who know the technology are finally starting to impact the products that this company makes, maybe they'll actually start producing decent computers.

On another note, it looks like Google has enabled it's users to now send SMS messages via gChat. An interesting feature that I foresee putting a dent in the profits of the cell phone companies. With phones like the G1 and others now starting to use the Google Android OS, the gChat program will start to be more and more common on cell phones and if techno-wise people, like myself, are as smart as I think we are. I see people taking advantage of this and canceling their text messaging service, or at least lowering the number of texts that they pay for per month because of this new feature...Now, if only they would unblock gChat and Gmail at work, I would be all set and I could actually reach some of my friends about that thing we were doing tonight when I get off work.

And Finally, East Japan Railway Company has developed a method of converting the energy of all it's passengers walking in and out of terminals, into electrical power to power electronic billboard signs. Now, I don't normally refer to myself as a tree hugger or "greenie" or what have you, but I do promote self sustainability, this is just one great example of a country doing that. Now, if only the US companies would take the same initiative that JR East has and start developing these things for themselves rather then waiting for the government to require them to take action and do it.

No comments: